June 18th, 2017 at 3:00PM
Concert for Peace (Toronto)
Orchestra Toronto is pleased and honoured to add our musical voice to Canada’s Sesquicentennial year of celebrations. We conclude our 63rd season with a program that highlights one of our greatest Canadian strengths (no, it’s not a hockey game). The valuation of peace and multiculturalism.
We are a country founded by settlers from around the world. And 150 years later, Toronto is one of the most diverse and livable cities on the planet.
Our 3:00pm performance on Sunday, June 18th, 2017 in the George Weston Recital Hall honours our national commitment to welcome the world, in peace to Canada. We are highlighting composers from some of the most recent conflict zones in our world as well as as some iconic pieces to bring some musical peace to the end of our season.
Kevin Mallon – Conductor
The Iranian-Canadian Composers of Toronto (ICOT)*
ON THE PROGRAM
Barber – Adagio for Strings
Panufnik – Procession for Peace
Jandali – Syrian Symphony
ICOT – world premier of a new concerto*
Sept 14th, 2017 at 7:00PM
Solo Music for Accordion
Iranian-Canadian Composers of Toronto (ICOT) announces its call for scores for the Fall 2017 opening concert in partnership with Canadian Music Centre in collaboration with internationally renowned Concert-accordionist Michael Bridge.
Additional information and requirements:
- This call for scores is open to all composers (any age and nationality)
- Each composer may submit only one work for consideration
- Works should be 4 to 6 minute in duration, and be written for solo accordion—electroacoustic elements are also accepted.
- Submitted scores must be anonymous.
- The selection will be made by three jury members. Jury members will only access anonymous review materials.
- Results will be announced by July 15th, 2017. Selected composers will be invited to attend rehearsals, taking place during August 2017. Exact date and time TBD
- Selected composers will receive an archival recording for their personal use
- ICOT is not able to provide travel stipends. We can facilitate video conferencing for rehearsals.
Michael Bridge – Accordion soloist